Thursday, January 2, 2014

Thursday Book Review - Hebrews: The Nearness of King Jesus

I am humbled to offer this book review of Lisa Harper's new study Hebrews: The Nearness of King Jesus.  I find it humbling because about two years ago, I dreamed on the phone with a best friend about starting a blog and writing about all kinds of things, even doing book reviews.  To see that dream come to fruition is perfectly fitting with a study on the Book of Hebrews because to me it's all about faith. 

The first half of Lisa's study outlines how Hebrews establishes the superiority of Jesus, particularly over angels and priests.  I found this part enlightening, as I never really questioned Jesus' superiority.  But Lisa reminds us that Hebrews was written thousands of years ago before everyone had access to the Bible.  Therefore, priests were held in very high regard because they were the only ones who had access to the Word.  The supremacy of Jesus over all others was a new way.  This is also an important caution for those of us who have access to the Bible, but may be inclined to invest too much into leaders in the church.  We all know how problematic that becomes when humans fail.

The rest of the study and of Hebrews gives important instructions on living out our faith under the New Covenant with Jesus.  No story speaks to me like the Israelites journey to the Promised Land. (I think it's because I'm relatively young in my Christian walk)  If there is a Bible Study that talks about it, I want to be a part of it.  I want to apply it to my life.  It helps me better understand my journey.  Lisa didn't disappoint as she describes how the New Covenant with Jesus relates to the Old Covenant under Moses and offers tips on applying it to our lives daily. 

Its no coincidence that this study came along when it did.  It was a reminder that I need to live out my faith in the dreams God gave me.  It was a sign that these dreams are heaven sent and real.  It also inspired my resolution for 2014 - to be a stalwart of faith.  I'm taking my faith to new levels in 2014 and I thank Lisa for helping me better understand how to do that!  #NearJesus

No comments:

Post a Comment