Sunday, June 1, 2014

#PeopleofGod



Lunch Reading: June 1 - 7, 2014

I'm taking my time with this book...  It focuses on many issues that have been swirling around recently in my mind.  I can't tell you how many times I have come across Matthew 28: 19-20 in the last few weeks.  This scripture warms my heart every time I read it.  I want to run out and go join a mission to a far away country and spread the love of Jesus.  It makes my daily grind seem futile in the grand scheme of our calling. 

The People of God opened my eyes to the fact that living out the Great Commission doesn't have to be done in exotic places.  I can actually fulfill this calling in my own backyard.  I live in a beautiful neighborhood near a university.  It is a quiet little bedroom community that is a wonderful refuge from the city.  The area changed greatly over the years.  Families moved out and new families moved in.  Crime increased in the surrounding area.  Jobs are few. The neighborhood struggles to preserve its "bedroom community" label amidst the changing landscape.  It has done so with a strong core of community leaders.

New leaders are also emerging.  New leaders who are excited, energetic and love our little corner of the world.  But how do we build the bridge to keep it all together?  I feel strongly that everyone must be at the table making our neighborhood great.  Old, young, black, white, single, married, renter, owner, the list goes on and on.  Who is great enough to bring all these groups together in loving community?  The #PeopleofGod.  

In My Spare Time
 #ChildrenoftheDay - This is a amazing study on 1 and 2 Thessalonians.  Beth Moore really goes deep in this one.  Paul's letters are inspiring and so relevant to the issues that many of us struggle with today. Check out Lifeway Women All Access for great excerpts and video clips from the study.

Believing God: Day by Day - A year-long, daily devotional that is modeled after the book, Believing God.  Great daily reminders regarding the importance of "active faith" in our daily walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment